10 setembro 2005

'it's not my job to die for my country and beliefs... it's to make those bastards die for theirs!'

"it's not my job to die for my country and beliefs... it's to make those bastards die for theirs!"

Li isso em um blog de um soldado norte-americano no Iraque. Fiquei ao mesmo tempo chocado e impressionado. Comentei no blog a respeito, e tenho esperanças que o papo fique bom. Lá vai:

Roy said...

"it's not my job to die for my country and beliefs... it's to make those bastards die for theirs!"
wow! why are they bastards? Why the beliefs of this "bastards" must to be aniquilated?

3:05 PM
KoolaidDavis said...

I figure I'm going to respond to Roy before anyone even puts thought into what he said.

First of all, if you're going to leave a half intelligent comment on my blog, and try to use a big word, try to spell it right.

I'm assuming you're wondering why their beliefs should be "questioned?"

Let's think... September 11th, 2001. That should say enough, Roy. Let's think more... how about the many many terrorist attacks on innocent civilians!

You're probably one of those people that think Ward Churchill shouldn't be fired for his remarks, and don't realize the First Ammendment just protects you from going to jail for what you say, not being fired from your job. There must be something REALLY REALLY REALLY wrong with you to even question their beliefs Roy. I'm sorry that you have a distorted view of the world, Roy. I'm sorry that you don't understand the horror Saddam Hussein, Bin Laden, Al-Zarqawi and Co. have put innocent civilians through. I am VERY sorry that you are having a hard time fathoming this, and I pray for you. Even more, I pray for my enemies.

As for what I said, it was just a quote. Sorry to everyone for not putting it in quotations. Personally, I wish everything could be solved through diplomacy, but obviously these terrorist netowrks don't agree. If they do not put down their weapons, we won't put down ours, and if they continue to try to kill the innocent, we will protect the innocent life.

Please put some thought in what these terrorist networks have done to our society in the past few decades. Imagine yourself living in horror in the Middle East. But I feel very very very sorry for you for defending their beliefs.

-Oli

3:54 PM
Anonymous said...

That's the Oliver I know.
Yoon

4:51 PM
roy said...

you do not reply my ask correctly. I´m not asking about the 9/11, i´m asking about why are "they" bastards. Who are "they"? Why are they "bastards"? Why are they "bastards" for what they believe? How can we to distinguish "bastards" and "no bastards"? I´m think you´re at Iraq, you know the iraqi people (right?), and the iraqi people is not like the north american people. There is essential diferences. About this diferences i´m asking, tenuous differences between a civilian iraqi and a terrorist, between a bastard, and a no-bastard...

Well, terrorists do not grow as trees, is there so many terrorists in Iraq, or... the limits between a civilian and a terrorist are very very tenuous? And the relations between the beliefs of a terrorist and the belief of a normal civilian? What do you think?

I have other question: do you (soldiers) talk about oil, and the depreciation of the dollar, and the relations between the dollar and the euro? Do you talk about "evil axis"?

I think there is many interesting questions to talk. I´m very curious about it. And you?

5:41 PM

Após essa pergunta, o soldado fez uma longa resposta, que coloco abaixo:

"Ask Oli" Discussion: Who are the "bastards"?

Ok, here's something new. Whenever I see a comment that needs to be discussed, I'll put the comment on a post.

Roy posted on March 11, 2005:

you do not reply my ask correctly. I´m not asking about the 9/11, i´m asking about why are "they" bastards. Who are "they"? Why are they "bastards"? Why are they "bastards" for what they believe? How can we to distinguish "bastards" and "no bastards"? I´m think you´re at Iraq, you know the iraqi people (right?), and the iraqi people is not like the north american people. There is essential diferences. About this diferences i´m asking, tenuous differences between a civilian iraqi and a terrorist, between a bastard, and a no-bastard...Well, terrorists do not grow as trees, is there so many terrorists in Iraq, or... the limits between a civilian and a terrorist are very very tenuous? And the relations between the beliefs of a terrorist and the belief of a normal civilian? What do you think? I have other question: do you (soldiers) talk about oil, and the depreciation of the dollar, and the relations between the dollar and the euro? Do you talk about "evil axis"? I think there is many interesting questions to talk. I´m very curious about it. And you?

Oli's says:

Ok Roy, I'll simplify it for you. I see that you are having a hard time understanding what I said was just a quote.

We are typically fighting two groups in Iraq. First, there are terrorists. These people come from all over, not just Iraq. It's very fortunate that we have to fight them in Iraq, where they can cause havoc on innocent civilians. The second major group we're fighting are Saddam loyalists, or insurgents who simply just don't want us here. They are fighting for their "country". Roy, contrary to what you believe, these two groups are the vast minority. The majority of the Iraqi's love us here. And I can say that because I'm actually here... and I see it for myself. I don't need TV or the news to tell me that.

So we'll label those two groups as the "bastards." OK, so they don't fit the literal meaning of bastatds... I think that's what you're looking for. So we'll just call them "shit heads", "ass holes", "dumb fucks", or simply "bad guys". And yes Roy, they are the bad guys... (I know you disagree, but come to Iraq and see for yourself).

Do you wonder why so many soldiers come to Iraq, and support what we're doing? And I'm not talking about the few soldiers Michael Moore conjured up on Farenheit 9/11... Do you wonder? Because we come here and see that we're doing good things, and we see that the media like.... CNN, etc. just likes to glorify all the bad things.

Do we talk about oil? Roy, come on. That's the lamest defense for a liberal claiming that's why we're here. That defense is outdated, and even proven to be untrue. Roy, if we wanted their oil, we would've taken it during Desert Storm. Stop the "I'm against Bush no matter what he does" thinking. THIS IS NOT ABOUT OIL.

Ok, so now many liberals want to blame the depreciation of the dollar on the President and the War also. The same people probably think the President was completely responsible for the 9/11 attacks... that's why our dollar value is down.

1. The dollar had been going down since the Clinton administration...
2. I blame the dollar value being down on liberals. If whiners didn't oppose the President in everything he did, maybe the dollar wouldn't be so low. Stop whining, and let the man do his job. Don't you see why your liberal minded counterparts are the minority in America these days?

Yes... we talk about the evil axis: Syria, Iran, and North Korea.

And don't worry Roy... I don't give a damn about the Euro. We are going to do whatever it takes to defend this country... we're not in it for Europe. So tell the European league of nations or whatever to go screw themselves. If it had been them attacked this same way, they would be doing the same thing.

I'll tell you what we really do talk about... We talk about how the Iraqi's appreciate us. We talk about how Saddam's murderous regime lasted longer than Hitler's. We talk about Saddam's sidekick "Chemical Ali" who commited horrendous crimes against the Kurds. We talk about how America delivered a free election to Iraq... when in the past, Iraqi's were pretty much killed for voting for anyone else but Saddam.

I think this is good discussion too, and if anyone has anything to input, please post as a comment. Roy... I pray that the liberally minded actually pay attention to what's going on... and before bashing everything that the President does, they grow some balls and come to Iraq themselves.

Bladesnitz posted on March 13,2004

Well said,

They are "bastards" because they want us dead (or others), period, regardless of our presence there. We don't want them dead, in fact, I think we'd rather see them work with us to create a better Iraq, but they aren't capable of tolerance or cooperation - thats why they are the bastards, not us.

Think about it - If we can, we'd rather capture and imprison the rebel fighters. Whereas, they would rather catch and behead our soldiers. Big difference.

Oil? This war is definitly not about Oil, at least not for us. I looked up in an atlas a few years back regarding oil exports from Iraq. The country that exported the most (by a large margin) oil from Iraq (~1/3rd of Iraq oil)? FRANCE. What a shock! So if this war is about oil for anyone, its about oil for France.

I'm not there, I'm not as brave as Oliver, but I do respect him and what he does, regardless of any personal view of the war (although I'm obviously in favor of it). The point is, we're liberating a country, and I hope we continue to spread TRUE freedom to the rest of the world. Its a miracle that there are individuals willing to go to war for such an unselfish cause.

Its true, the US does gain from this, but what do they gain? Stability, peace, and the opportunity to spread a system that has been proven to work. People in America have the right and the power to disagree, and thats a right everyone should have, without the fear of being killed for their beliefs. Those who kill to suppress freedom are the "evil" ones, and those who fight to defend are the "good" ones.

É muito curioso ver o que um soldado norte-americano pensa da "guerra", seus modos de justificativa, suas retificações cristãs após declarações agressivas, a generalização do 11/9 para todo o povo iraquiano, a ausência de "tolerância" vinda dos iraquianos, e não dos yankees, e assim por diante. Muito mais do que o que vemos no noticiário, essa é uma rica fonte para que vejamos o que o jornal não mostra, e avaliarmos o quanto somos, com nossos modos de vida, tributários de tudo isso...

2 comentários:

Unknown disse...

Esta expressão (mais ou menos da mesma forma) foi proferida por Patton durante a II Guerra. Quer isto dizer que o soldado que a disse não a inventou. Na minha opinião isto foi-lhe dito num contexto de exaltação da guerra ou leu isso num livro sobre o general Patton.

nomadez disse...

realmente curiosa sua informação, e creio que, no contexto em que o soldado disse aquilo, sua hipótese esteja correta!